Monday, February 6, 2012

Presenting some bright cheery stars for the kitchen ~

Potholder Pass I made these for the potholder pass. My partner likes bright and cheery so I think they will like these. I am very reluctant to give them up, I love them so much myself. Certainly they are much nicer than any potholder that currently resides in our kitchen. Even my husband made a comment to that effect. Hmm, I think he may have been hinting around ~ I guess I will have to do something about that.

Potholder Pass I used the Sparkle Punch design from Elizabeth Hartman and just reduced the size of the squares. The squares were all cut to 1.5" so in the final pieced design, the squares are 1". I wanted it small so I could pack more stars into my 8" potholder.

Potholder Pass In the other potholder I used the Ribbon Star block that Faith (Fresh lemons quilts) posted on her blog as part of her Solstice Stars Series quilt-along. I wanted the star to be patchy, so I broke up the half-square triangles, into small 1" squares and then pieced them accordingly. I love the effect.

Potholder Pass I used a mix of different prints in bright hues paired with linen. I used Elizabeth Hartman's potholder tutorial for the overall design of the potholders including the pouch at the back. Now they are off to the post office for their little journey.

Also, I am joining the Sew Out Loud Quilt-along. This quilt along is being organized by Kirie (Shapemoth) and Julianna (Sewing under rainbow) and involves a score of quilt bloggers who will each be designing a sewing themed inspired block using text fabric. I'm so excited to see what these talented ladies come up with. I really love seeing the creative ways that quilters incorporate text into their blocks, so I'm looking forward to joining in on this QAL. I have been quietly building my text based fabric stash for quite a while now and this will be the perfect opportunity to use some of it up. Won't you join us? Just click on the box

SOL QAL

There are even some fabulous prizes to be had.

~Happy Sewing!

7 comments:

YC @ glass snail crawling said...

So pretty! I could use some of those bright and cheery spots in the house. What did you use for layers inside the potholder?

Karen said...

Love the potholders! So bright and fresh. :o)

celine said...

ooooh i love it, it's wonderful you are very créative i love all that you do (excuse me for my english i m french ) see you soon

Bearpawquilter said...

Love the striped binding on the bias. I do that quite often myself.

Unknown said...

Love Love these! The colors and the patterns are great! Did you make your little flower tags or purchase them somewhere? I've been thinking about adding some to the crafts I do, but don't know where to get them! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Love Love these! The colors and the patterns are great! Did you make or purchase the little flower tags? I've been thinking about getting tags for my crafts, too!

Caroline ~ TrilliumDesign said...

Lauren Hudson - it's a ribbon. I just cut a snippet and incorporate it into the binding seam. :)