Wednesday, September 1, 2010

ORBC Quilt-along finish!

Botanical Blues quilt
A while back, in this post, I laid out the plans for my own version of the hexagon quilt led by Julie (Jaybird quilts) and the Old Red barn Co.

Botanical Blues quilt

The hexagon quilt is finally finished. It has been pieced for awhile, but last month in the blazing heat I finally managed to stitch up a quilt back and this past week I finally got it quilted and bound.
Botanical Blues quilt I am totally loving the end result. The colors are speaking to me, so cool and calming and well, blue is my favorite color anyway, so it was hard to go wrong here.

After much debate on the final layout, I decided to go with the pointed edges following the hexagon lines and I really like the result. Usually when I design a quilt, I have the end product in my mind, so it was a bit strange to have all these blocks made and then figure out how to put them together. I think this layout works ok though.

Sewing on the binding was a bit slower because of all those points, but not too bad. This one has already been claimed by my daughter ~ no surprise there ~ green and aqua are her favorite colors. Botanical Blues quilt

The fabrics in this quilt are from all over and include Sandi Henderson, Heather Bailey, Valori Wells, Patty Young, Paula Prass, Tula Pink, and others. Botanical Blues quilt

I decided to venture out from random stipple quilting and quilt on this curvy leaf pattern. Not sure how much i'm loving this approach really. It was a LOT of work and i'm not sure it was worth it really. It looks okay but you can't really see it well on this type of quilt. Probably would've worked better on a quilt with more solid fabrics. Live and learn.
Botanical Blues quilting detail

That’s the 3rd quilt finish this summer – phew!

Happy Sewing!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

it's so pretty! I'd totally cozy up with that!

Tracey Jacobsen said...

really beautiful! I love all the greens and blues. :)

Pat Sloan said...

Now I MUST find ALL fabrics in these colors... your quilt is amazing!

Allie said...

Your quilt turned out beautiful! Your fabric choices are great!

Catherine Fowler said...

I just love this. it looks happy. Cathy

amylouwhosews said...

This quilt is just gorgeous! I love the colors and the hexie edge! Beautiful.